I'm sure you probably heard on the news about a pastor that was shot during worship service 2 weeks ago. This man that nobody knew came into the early service and murdered the pastor right in front of everybody. Well, that was Paul's and my church in Illinois, and Pastor Fred was our pastor. He baptised me a week before Paul and I got married. I think I'm still in shock that someone could do this to him. Pastor Fred Winters was such a great man of God. He was so friendly and always had a big smile on his face. He had a real way with people and remembered names like nobody's business. I always remember being fascinated that he knew everyone's name and made a point to greet them and make them feel welcome. He tackled tough issues in our culture today with the Word of God and loved Jesus with his whole heart.
A little over a year ago, Paul and I were driving back from Oklahoma and stopped in IL to visit our old church and get together with our Sunday school class. It was late afternoon on a weekday when we arrived, and Pastor Fred was the first person we saw as we walked in the church. We hadn't been there for over a year, but Pastor Fred enthusiastically welcomed us back and was eager to give us a tour of the church, since there had been much building progress since we moved away. We talked with him for a while, and then he led us into the church office to say hello to some of the staff we knew. Anyway, it was a really nice visit and I will always remember it. Between that and getting together later that night with our old Sunday school class, it felt like coming home to family. I get teary eyed when I think about the great people at that church and how much I miss them.
Thankfully this tragic event wasn't worse. In the news articles I've read, the gunman had enough ammunition to kill 30 people. It could have been a mass murder that day. When the assailant's gun jammed, he pulled out a knife and started cutting himself. Two men tackled him and got injured by the knife in the process. One of those guys was Keith Melton, a friend of ours who we sang in choir with. I consider these two men heroes for stepping up and taking action.
Anyway, if you could keep that whole church in your prayers, I would really appreciate it. And pray especially for Cindy Winters and her two girls, Alysia and Cassidy. I'm sure they miss their dad. Cindy was interviewed by the news, and her composure and attitude is amazing. She has no hatred for the shooter, but only wants people to pray for him. The Lord really is giving her amazing strength and peace to get through this. If you would like to see her interview, or see the beautiful service for Pastor Fred online, click here. Cindy spoke at the service as well, and it was very touching. She even told some funny stories about her husband. During the service she said "You know what? I refuse to let Satan win. I'm not going to hate. And I'm not going to survive this thing -- I'm going to be a better person because of this thing." She closed with this: "On Sunday, my husband didn't die. He simply got a promotion." You can read a great article about her here.
I've been in contact with some of our old friends up there and I've heard that the church is on fire for God! They are trying to glorify God in the midst of tragedy and expect hundreds and thousands to be saved. Praise the Lord! As it was said in the service, Pastor Fred would not want the focus to be on him, but on Jesus. Cindy quoted one of her daughters saying "I want everyone to come to know Jesus through this. I hope the man who did this learns to love Jesus." What strength and perspective this young girl has!
If you care to read more about this event, see these links:
Alleged Illinois Church Gunman Charged With First-Degree Murder
Motive Remains a Mystery in Illinois Church Shooting That Killed Pastor
YouTube news video
Another YouTube news video
Slain pastor's wife: 'Mourners, don't hate gunman'
Thanks for your prayers. I know our friends appreciate it!
No comments:
Post a Comment