Monday, December 21, 2009

Homemade Baby Food

I'm backed up on blogging again (did I ever catch up?), so the next few blogs are going to be about November events. Alot has happened in the last 2 months!
Caleb eating rice cereal in his bib from Aunt Sarah
I mentioned earlier that we've decided to make our own baby food for Caleb. There are several reasons why, but 2 of the big ones are because it's healthier and much less expensive. The main book I'm using is the Super Baby Food book, which details how to prepare various foods and which ones to give at different ages. After Caleb tried rice cereal, we started him on sweet potatoes. Just to show you how easy it is, here are some pictures of the first time I made them. I was going to try to put together a tutorial, but realized I didn't take pictures of the whole process. This will have to do. It really is simple.
1. First you cook the sweet potatoes. I cut them in half and steam them in a steamer. Mine looks like this.Cook them for about 45 minutes or until they are soft.
2. Then you scoop out the sweet potato and place it into a food processor or blender. I use my handy little Magic Bullet, which I really do love.
3. Puree the stuff until it's smooth.
4. Taste it! It doesn't have any additives, so it takes just like the real thing...because it is! I love sweet potatoes!5. Leave out what you need and freeze the rest in small portions. I used my milk tray because I haven't purchased a regular ice cube tray that is BPA free yet. It has actually worked pretty well because the servings are 1 ounce.That's it! Pretty simple.
Here is an article on BabyCenter if you'd like to read more.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Keep up the good work! The only down side to the all organic diet is the lack of selection in organic friuts, once he gets to take finger food! I did my best until Allie was 1 then I wanted her to have a greater variety of food so we did some non organic stuff. So good luck on that front :-)