Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Dad

Well, it's been a month since my dad passed away. May 14th. His memorial service was on the 18th. Thank you to all who drove and flew from all over to attend his service. It meant so much to my mom and me to have your support and to know that my father touched so many lives. He was a wonderful man, and I miss him terribly.

In those last two weeks of his life, in hospice care, I was able to share some sweet moments with my dad. I got to tell him how much I loved him, what a wonderful father he was, how much he taught me. I let him know that if he needed to go be with Jesus, that was alright. He didn't need to worry about me and Mom...we were going to be okay. We would take care of each other, and Paul would take good care of me. Even though he was unable to respond there at the end, I knew he could hear me. He squeezed my hand. I feel lucky to have had that time to say all I wanted to say before he left this world. So many people lose a loved one in an instant and then wish they had said certain things. I just hope my dad didn't suffer. The wonderful nurses and doctors at Peachtree Christian Hospice were so good to him, and I know they did everything they could to make my father comfortable.

I do feel the need to mention something. It's the power of prayer and the power of God. Throughout this tough time, my mother and I often talked about feeling a strength we didn't know we had. We felt a certain peace and comfort. We wondered why we weren't crying more, even though we had our moments. The night of the service, Mom and I were up late discussing these things with her sister, Jeannie. All of a sudden it just kind of hit Jeannie and she exclaimed "that's what we've been praying for!" Mom and I had been experiencing the Lord's comfort, peace, and strength (and still do!). These are things we had specifically been praying for ourselves, and I know others were as well. It's amazing what prayer can do! Thank you to everyone who prayed for us...we certainly felt the results! I truly don't know how someone can get through an event like this without faith in Jesus Christ.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Can I ask a favor of everyone? Father's Day is just around the corner. If you still have your father, please let him know how much he means to you. Tell him how much you love him and admire him. You never know when you won't be able to say those words again.

No comments: