Allison told us about the local auctions around here. She and Lloyd have been to a few and she's bought some good stuff. So on Saturday, Paul and I decided to join them and see for ourselves what they were all about. This one was mostly old collectible items like Coca-Cola signs and gasoline signs, but there was also some furniture. Paul and I have been wanting a grandfather clock for a while now, and there happened to be one at this auction! We bid on it and got it for $35! Amazing! I couldn't believe nobody else wanted to bid on it. I also wanted this old Singer sewing table, the kind where the sewing machine folds into the table and it has a foot pedal and everything, but the bidding got up to over $100, and Paul and I didn't want to dish out that much cash. So we ended up with just our one deal. We spent the rest of the day fussing with it. I cleaned it thoroughly and Paul figured out how the clock and chime mechanism works. There is one small piece we need to replace, but other than that, it is in working order.I also looked up some information about it online. It says "Emperor Clock Company" inside, which is a company still in business. I found out our model was manufactured from 1969 to early 1978 and was sold as a kit or assembled for you. I think the name of the man who assembled it is on a piece of masking tape inside. I even found a picture of it in a 1972 catalog online! Click here to see the catalog picture. Ours is the one on the right. I looked it up on Ebay to see what it's going for, and people are selling ones like it for $300-400! Now I really feel like we got a deal! I can't wait to put it in the foyer of our new house!
No comments:
Post a Comment